Monday, March 30, 2015

News and Musings on Writing

    I've been keeping up rather badly with my writing lately--novel-wise, that is--but I've written a lot of short pieces instead. I also won a Gold Medal in the Scholastic Writing Awards, so I'm allowing myself some dispensation for resting on my laurels.
     Otherwise, I've been working on spoken word poetry, flash fiction, speeches, etc.... (And also, because I'm the paranoid sort who hates the idea of people reading my writing over my shoulder when I'm working in a public place, I actually wrote a story in Norwegian just to avoid this. Now I've got to translate it back to English and make the sentences pretty. Since my adjective lexicon in Norwegian is severely limited.)
     I also discovered a website where you can write little essays or stories or whatnot, and this month's prompt is "weather." So I wrote a little rant on climate change. It's not so much a rant as mine usually are, but this was meant to be an essay, so it's got some rhetoric and emotion worked in. Hopefully.
     Here it is:
     http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/Posts/tabid/72/g/posts/t/16196/Default.aspx
     (This one doesn't give you money if you win, but for an anti-capitalist, I've done an awful lot of searching for writing contests or such that could earn me money, which is a bit distressing to my principles. Ha.)
     After all these short bits, I'm hoping to get back to serious novel writing with the April session of NaNoWriMo.
     As if. That requires Time. (What's that again?...) But I'll try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment